Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Boys camp

This weekend from Thursday to Sunday will be one of my main highlights of this year. This summer already has it's main highlights but one this is gonna be ranked up there with the best. One of my most favorite things in the world is being a counsler at Jr high boys camp. This will be my fourth year serving the Lord through serving these kids. I love it when a weekend feels like a lifetime. I can't wait to find the kid who sits by himself on the sideline. I can't wait to find the kid in my cabin that totally keeps to himself. I CAN'T wait to find the kid that is experiencing his first time away from home and is scared. I CAN'T WAIT to show these kids specifically that I have been waititng all year just to be with them. That all I want outta this weekend and my purpose is to be with them, to goof around, to sing stupid songs to them off the top of my head.

A couple years ago I remember I had three like that in my cabin. One kid had a basball cap that was like his security blanket. One kid was putting on this "too cool for this" kinda act and one kid said nothing at all. By sunday there were no barriers, all guard was down. By the end, the cap was off, "too cool" was humbled and gave me a hug, and I couldn't get the quite one to shut up. It was amazing. God is so good. So good.

One year I had three kids that didn't wanna go canoeing. I didn't pry and I didn't ask why but I could see in their eyes that it most definately wasn't on their top ten list. Probably ranking somewhere right under going to the dentist (although I hear that depending on the gas they use it's actually a pleasant experience). ANYHOO. I got permission from the administrator to do something else with them as long at is was something that would tire them out. Not a problem. So we got to explore allerton park where camp is at every year. The place is huge and it's got trails everywhere that empty out to clearings with statues in the middle of nowhere. It reminded me alot of the setting of alison in wonderland. It was amazing. SO MUCH FUN. When we go back the other kids in the cabin told my three "I can't believe you didn't go, you seriously missed out". My three said "Are you kidding? We were with chris and we went exploring! YOU totally missed out." Then they went on and told the others everything and there were more stories about the park told that night then anything else. It felt so good. God totally blesses me through those kids.

Three kids out of a hundred and twenty. If that's all I touched, I am blessed.

Anyhoo I would really appreciate your prayers in that lives would be touched and seeds will be planted. My First year I remember a couple days later I got a phone call form a camper, that he appreciated my example during devotions and loved how I loved being goofy with everybody, yet completely serious when I talked about the word. He called to let me know that he gave his life to the Lord. I cried. It was amazing. Hearts are touched through this and God work is being done. I'm so excited to be a part of it. Pray for this weekend that His work contiunes on and that the attitude is one of a servant heart for all the counsilers. That this is not a YG mens fellowship weekend. This weekend is for the kids. This weekend is for God and I am humbled to be a part of it.

4 comments:

Luke said...

Me too. I can't wait.

Luke said...

Hey...when are you getting out here?

Anon said...

Enjoy Monticello's Allerton park! Cool place.
I'll be praying for the boys' camp. I hope y'all have a stellar weekend. :)

Chris said...

Thanks guys,

Luke, I'm picking up Mark Miller in Kansas City thursday morning and we are heading.

Gonna be a weekend to remember